The departure of Captain Scotts Antartic Expedition aboard the TERRA NOVA, 15 June 1910. Seen from the vicinity of Channel Dry Dock. The TERRA NOVA is seen with S.T BANTAM COCK (London), S.T. BRITON (Liverpool) and S.T. FALCON (Cardiff).
The TERRA NOVA, an auxiliary barque of 764 tons, was built by Messrs Alexander Stephens and Sons, Dundee in 1884 for the whaling trade. Although nearly thirty years old at the time of Captain Scott's expedition, she was chosen for it because of her suitability for work in the Antarctic ice. Her beams were 14 ins thick, her bows were 9 feet of solid wood, and her stem was sheathed with iron plating.